How to Stop a Dog from Eating Your Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 15littlem, Nov 28, 2012.

1. 15littlem

15littlem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    I recently trained my dog to not eat adult chickens, however, she still goes after my chicks. Any input would be great on this subject as there is so much out there on training with adult chickens.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Keep the chicks where the dog can't get to them, they need protection from other predators anyway. Full grown chickens are extremely tempting for most dogs, chicks.... way too much to expect of most dogs.

3. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    we have a yorkie who would pounce on chicks. the way we broke her was to be with her and every time she went towards one to tell her to sit/stay and give her a treat while being near them with out moving. she's great now and will simply watch the chicks

4. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I'm just doing the same thing with my two dogs, a Bouvier and a Yorkie.
    Here is a photo of them in the run with the chickens around them.
    I'm not sure that my chickens will be free ranging next summer but I thought I could start some prep work incase, if anything they might be good protectors of the chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    x3

I understand each has his/her own experience with dogs/training. That being said, I won't let my Yorkie anywhere near my chickens - ever. (but he's the best rodent killer/retriever around) [​IMG]

7. 15littlem

15littlem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Does anyone know how to do this with a medium to large sized dog, or with a dog that has been bred to hunt and chase?

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Try a search on "leave it" training tips. Works pretty well. There are several posts on here about it. Too lengthy for my peck and hunt fingers to type it out. Good luck.

9. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Introduce her to chicks like you are starting completely from the beginning. To her those are not the same things as what she is used do. She need to know that those things also belong to you. Whenever I get new birds (or any pet) or have any sort of location change or new pin, I introduce my dogs like it is a brand new deal. To them it is.

You need to work on overall impulse control training and you need do it EVERY day consistently until she gets it. Work on the leave it command outside of the chicken context so she knows what that means. Take her near your coop and brooder on a leash and scold or remove her at ANY behavior other than ignoring. Even happy excited is not ok. Watch her body language. Any tension is not ok. Again, do this everyday. It takes time and patience.

Even if you plan on keeping the animals separate you should work on training your dog so that when inevitably the dog or the birds get out one day there is a higher likelihood of success. PM me if you would like some additional impulse control exercises.

This is my rescued pit mix from an urban shelter:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I firmly believe that it is completely do-able if you are willing to put the time and effort into it, and depending on the dog it may take some time. You need to have a foundation of solid overall basic training before you start.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by