How to stop a egg eating goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LindseyM12, Jan 22, 2011.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi guys, I have two geese and I discovered that the gander is an egg eater... I had to move my ducks because my goose kept eating her eggs. Does anyone know how to make them stop? I don't know what to do when my goose starts laying. She might already be laying and he's eating them all! Thanks!!!

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    send him to freezer camp!

I had 1 goose that ate eggs, i did not manage to break her off it. I tried filling an egg with the hottest spices I can think of- didn't work, filled some with plaster to make them rock hard- didn't work either she tested every egg every time until she found one she could break, at the end she rolled the hard ones out of the nest.

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    AAHH! I can't send him to freezer camp!! He's so sweet! Haha! [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe somethings missing in his diet.

5. sweety tweety

sweety tweety Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    when my gander sweety was eating eggs i put wood ashes and oisture shell in thear pin he quit eating eggs after he discoverd the ashes and oisture shell but this could be a fluke and i just got luckey.

6. lone oak

lone oak Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    i had a goose eating duck eggs and gave them cat food, dont know if it was a wonderful ideal or not but in about three days they had quit eating eggs. only gave the cat food in addition to their normal feed one day. i used equal amounts of cat food and their normal feed, also have oystershell freechoice.

7. sweety tweety

sweety tweety Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    ya they do love their kitty food its really high in proten mine get it once a month as thear candy treat. brewers yeast is also very good for them sprinkel a little on their food lots if b vitamen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by