How to stop bleeding new flight feather on duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zook, Dec 11, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    One of our ducks (muscovy) has new flight feathers coming in and I assume the drake is picking on her pretty bad. She has two flight feathers bleeding which is making a 2" diameter blood spot on her back where her wings lay. One has what looks to be a large clot on it but is still bleeding. What is the best way to stop the bleeding. I'm in the process of fixing 2 pens damaged in our last storm so no place to put her by herself right now. Thanks

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yikes, i have had it happen here.. i used kwik stop, you know the stuff for pets nails. I believe their is another basic option like flour but i always have the septic power on hand.

If he doesn't cease i might suggest you take her out for a day or two, you don't want that aggravated.

3. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I do have a wire 30" X 30" by 20" rabbit cage that I can put down inside the ducks enclosure to segregate her. She could still see the others but be free from peaking. Is that to small just to let her heal for a few days or more??

I am house bound right now waiting for my truck to get fixed and the nearest pet store is 65 kms away. I have two kwik stop sticks from my dog left can try that. As I said I have no place to put her which would be my first option if I could. I will try that but the drake is becoming real back for beating on his girls. May go way of the freezer if it continues. I have our new drake Turbo growing up and will be ready for spring.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    She probably wouldn't like being, caged.. any spare fence? even lattice the plastic or the wooden kind. to segregate her off... i will try and look up alternative blood stoppers, as i said because i have the powered stop so i haven't paid much attention to alternatives.

I'll be honest if the drake is being to rough, i'd pull him... how is your ratio? drakes can be overbearing, i consider it our job as flock keepers to maintain a balance.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Okay cornstarch which is touted as more effective than flour which is also recommended. HTH.

6. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

I put her in the cage for now in the same room.She is not protesting it as the drake and other 2 ducks are huddled by the cage. Stupid. Still trying to flock together but when the drake gets going none are safe. He's my only full grown drake (he's 20 weeks now) but Turbo if you recall our baby duckling would be ready in age for his own harem of girls come March. I actually suggested to the wife we cull the nasty drake because Turbo loves people and was okay with the ducks during introductions, but it was the older drake who ended the visits by chasing Turbo. Turbo is about 3/4 feathered now. His wings are getting his flight feathers and head seem to be last to feather. He is still in the house and I would love to get him in the barn maybe have the girls himself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by