How to stop bleeding - torn toenail

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by claud, Dec 6, 2009.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    My dog has a torn toenail that is bleeding quite a bit. I don't know what happened - went out for 5 or 10 minutes to go to the bathroom and when he came back he was bleeding all over my floor.
    It doesn't look like it needs vet attention but how do I get it to stop bleeding? I washed it in a bucket of warm water but can't really wrap it.
    Anyone with experience with this?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    dip the foot in some flour or corn flour or something like that from the kitchen

3. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    cornstarch will work. Flour will too.

If you have tape, I would pack it with flour, and then put a sock around and tape it up. Make sure not to tape so tight that you cause any restriction of circulation. If you have vet wrap, that works perfect, I always keep it on hand. Put the sock on, and then vet wrap the entire foot up over the pastern.

You could also ice it, that will cause the body to divert blood flow away from it.

Poor doggy, hope is all better soon.

4. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Thanks. I packed it with cornstarch but didn't wrap it - I'm afraid he'll chew at it and make it worse. Bleeding has slowed some.

He's clumbsy and always seems to hurt himself - doesn't seem to have any pain receptors either - LOL

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Once the bleeding stops you should give him the opportunity to lick it, thats how they know what to do.

AL

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    It should be ok, my dog has torn a nail a couple of times, once I stop the bleeding then its fine after that, I've not had it start bleeding again and it heals pretty fast.

7. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    He's in his crate now - he's never in his crate but I put him in there because he was leaving bloody footprints everywhere.

I can hear him snoring from my living room(he's in kitchen) so it must not be bothering him much - LOL. Hopefully by morning it will be ok.

8. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Get into your spice cabinet and see if you have Turmeric Powder. It is a natural astringent and will stop the bleeding pretty fast.

9. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Baking soda also works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by