1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to stop chicken boredom

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss jay's mama, Dec 3, 2008.

1. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    What do you all do to keep your chickies from getting bored?? I won't let them free range because too many stray dogs and other predators in the area.They don't go out in their run that much now that the temps have dropped. I only have six so I'm afraid to over feed them with treats. Any suggestions

2. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    If you have any Fall leaves, you can put a layer on the ground in their run. It gives them something to scratch around in, and they will end up mulching the leaves. You can even save some of the leaves to put in next month.

I have read that some people here will make cabbage/lettuce hanging balls. If you do a search you could probably find more info.

Sorry...its not that cold here and I let my chickens free range so I can't help much. Hope other people answer

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  4. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Thanks for the ideas. That thread had ALOT of good ones.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I hang cabbage from the ceiling, I hang just far enough off the ground they kind of have to jump to get to it (exercise to try to avoid the winter fat [​IMG])
    I throw scratch or black sunflower into their litter in the coop, you don't need much just a few handfulls. They will spend quite a bit of time scratching for the pieces of grain.
    The leaves in the run is a great idea as well, it's kind of like giving a cat a empty box or bag they spend hours entertaining themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by