How to stop chicken pecking a wound?

3creamsandfluffy

Hatching
Jan 3, 2023
Hi everyone, we have a hen with a wound (we suspect originally a peck wound) that is difficult to heal because she continues to peck it. We have been spraying a germicidal treatment with gentian violet but this doesn't stop her pecking. When it opens it is difficult to stop bleeding. Is there any way someone has found that has worked to stop this kind of pecking?

These are photos of the wound. The balm I applied yesterday must have worn off and she pecked and lost a lot of blood in the night. I applied more balm this morning. The blue is from the Blu-cote applied previously. I also tried fashioning a cone from a tupperware lid to prevent her from reaching down there but didn't have a way to keep the cone on her.

Attachments

• IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5
You might try a crepe bandage around the body & over the would, just tight enough that the bandage does not move. Ties the ends, do not use a pin. A few days should allow the wound to heal without being picked at. You may need to confine her to a small cage to limit her movements so the bandage does not come off.

You might try a crepe bandage around the body & over the would, just tight enough that the bandage does not move. Ties the ends, do not use a pin. A few days should allow the wound to heal without being picked at. You may need to confine her to a small cage to limit her movements so the bandage does not come off.
Thank you I will try the bandage

Back
Top Bottom