1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to stop chickens from pecking each other?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JSW99, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    One of my hens has a large scab on her back. It happened because of my roosters' aggressive mating. I have removed my roosters and the wound is still not healing... even after one year! I tried Neosporin, and the feathers would begin to grow out, and then they would vanish. I think one of my chickens is pecking her back and not allowing it to heal. How do I prevent my chickens from pecking each other?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can watch to see who it is and isolate them. Feather picking can become a habit hard to break. Many times increasing the protein in the diet to 20 %, giving them more room or free ranging, and some interesting things to climb on and explore will help. I would suggest you check into hen aprons--they would cover her back so that it could heal. I have made simple 1 piece aprons that slip over the wings out of polarfleece. I just made up the pattern--it looks just like a cook's apron, cut 2 slits for the wings, and trimmed it down to fit. https://www.google.com/search?q=hen...AHCuYDgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CG8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=655 There are anti-pick lotions for sale, but I havent' used them.

1 person likes this.
  3. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    In my experience, chicken aprons have not worked. I read that pine tar works but when I went to the store to buy it, I noticed the can said "WARNING: CAN BE DEADLY IF SWALLOWED".

4. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    If the pine tar is on the chickens back, I doubt she will be able to swallow it. The hen aprons might not have worked because they were too loose. They need to be tight enough to sit firmly on her back, but not too tight. If they are too loose, it will be easy for her to peck the apron off.

5. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    No, what you do with the pine tar, is you put it on the affected areas and when other chickens peck at it the taste will be so bad they will not peck any more. This will allow the wound to heal.

6. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    From the links I have looked at, Pine Tar is perfectly fine for chickens and humans. I heard about someone who even licked pine tar for a dare - they felt sick for a few hours but soon recovered.

7. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I am still concerned about the can saying that it is poisonous if swallowed. I read somewhere that you need to get pine tar made especially for animals. Does this exist?

8. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    I have not heard of pine tar made specifically for animals. I've heard it is good for wounds, but never have I seen that it is deadly or poisonous if swallowed.

9. Guinea 2013

Guinea 2013 New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    I think they are probably talking about turpentine, which is a product that is distilled from pine tar! I remember as a child that my mother used to use turpentine as something to put on a wound such as when i stepped on a nail to help draw the soreness out of a wound. Heck i remember her helping me make a cough medicine for my chickens and one of the ingredients was turpentine. I'm sure it tasts bad. Don't really know where to get it unless at the pharmacy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by