How to Stop Chickens from pecking each others feathers out

PastorLarry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
Tecumseh Oklahoma
I have eleven mixed breed hens. My coop is 10' by 10' and the run is 16' by 20' plus they have access under the coop. I have put out cabbage for them to peck and also a couple of small boxes to put clover and other greens in. My question is this. Several hens have the feathers pecked off just in front of tail feathers. A couple have the feathers pecked off on their backside around the vent. How do I stop this before it gets out of hand? I did have a rooster who seemed to be the culprit so I got rid of him but the problem still persists. Any suggestions?

It's often the total protein and blend of amino acids in the feed. It can also be a rat.
What does their feed intake consist of, how many hens and what is their age?
Are their roosts staggered and multiple levels?

Last edited:
Four hens are about a year old. The others about 9 months old. I feed a 15% protein laying ration that has mixed grains and oyster shell in it. We go through about 100# per month. No rodents around that I am aware of.

Are you blending in the mixed grains into the Layer?

15% protein is on the low side. The main causes of feather pecking is inadequate protein, lack of animal protein in the diet, crowded conditions, boredom, and parasites on the skin and in the feathers, such as lice or mites.

Give them all a dusting and start feeding a healthy portion of 22-24% protein GameBird Grower or even a 20-24% Starter, non medicated and see if the results aren't pleasing.

Are you blending in the mixed grains into the Layer?

15% protein is on the low side. The main causes of feather pecking is inadequate protein, lack of animal protein in the diet, crowded conditions, boredom, and parasites on the skin and in the feathers, such as lice or mites.

Give them all a dusting and start feeding a healthy portion of 22-24% protein GameBird Grower or even a 20-24% Starter, non medicated and see if the results aren't pleasing.

Agreed. 15 is slightly low for a complete ration but when grains are added, the protein is too low. I'm pretty sure that's your problem

Additionally don't mix the oyster shell or grains with the feed. They need them in separate containers so they can choose what they need.

Back
Top Bottom