how to stop my chicken coop from leaking - update with pictures !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickchicks, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    hello

this year about augusttime i bought a 6*4 shed for my chickens .

when it rains it leaks,the water comes up through the bottom and the walls are wet , this is not good for chickens [​IMG]

i have the shed on a bast that is raised of the floor on like little stilts about 12cm high and this is all ontop of concrete patio slabs.

the wood is supposed to be treatedonthe base and the shed it self i have painted with wood paint on the outside not the inside - i did not know if the chickens could peck at it or not [​IMG]

the water looks like it comes through the floor area on one side and seeps up and also through small gaps inthe walls

im not sure how to block this up as the gaps areminute where the wood has overlapped.

there is no vent im still working on this but the windows have blown open due to high winds and that seems to work nicely as its on the far end away from where they roost and the water cannot get in ( the oneplace only!)

i have no pictures at the moment but when i do i will put them up if it helps.

im annoyed at how a brand new shed could do this [​IMG] i have no money to go out and but a new one just yet as this being a new one should really last longer than a few months !

any advice will be great

thank you

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like the wooden feet of your coop are standing in water that pools on the concrete, with the wood drawing in moisture? I would 1) direct water flow away from the patio so it won't pool there (e.g., through gutters, drainage ditch, etc.) and 2) put the stilts (feet of your coop) up on something waterproof, like concrete blocks or pavers. Make sure you have your coop high enough to get air circulation underneath, so when patio is wet, it can rapidly dry. You may need to supplement supports underneath the coop. I'm sure when you post a pix a real construction person can chime in, but I have observed treated wood draw up surprising amounts of water, when standing in a pool, if that is what is happening to you.

3. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    What are the walls made of, solid boards or particle board?
    Sounds like you might have poor drainage underneath the coop. If water is building up over 6cm when it rains it is because it is not being carried away or draining in to the ground. You are going to have to determine if this is what is going on, or if it is seeping through walls. Is your coop sitting in water after a rain? Or if it is the latter, then you will need to get out the serious water proofing for your coop walls. Firstly, some good caulking along the seams to seal them. From the outside. Use a silicone caulking, apply it, then using a finger (covered by a plastic bag or such) lightly smear it in to those seams, to be sure they are sealed. Caulking is inexpensive and it is easy.
    If you waterproof from the inside, this will still allow the walls/floor to get soggy from water(from the outside) so you need to waterproof from the outside. More paint might work, more coats of it, or switching paint. Start with a couple of heavy coats of exterior primer. I always say this because it is true: paint intended for metal is SO much more durable than wood paint, and it might well waterproof a wall that standard wood paint will not. Rustoleum out of a can, applied with a brush, might be exactly what you need. A few coats of this stuff will give you a serious barrier against water that no wood paint can give you. Tar paper would do it. Look on Craig's for extra siding. Someone is selling cheap. You will have more options if what the coop looks like isn't a driving force, and your birds won't care what you finish it off with.
    If your coop is sitting in water after a rain, then you will need to address this by digging in to the ground and doing something, making the water drain off. That's some heavy work. You didn't say this was the case, so for now I doubt it is the issue?

4. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Is there a lip around the bottom, where water might be resting as it runs down the walls? I have a proplem with water seeping through breeze blocks. I think it's because some of the mortar is sticking out like a little shelf and catching rain water. Wondering if the same could be happening to you?

5. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thanks you for the replies ,
    i will take pictures to explain and look for water levels .

i did hope that water would drain away inthe cracks as the patio concrete slabs have gaps between them but maybe they are not big enough

i dont know the difference between full and partial boards but if i had to take a guess id say partiall boards.

they are slats if i could say that laid upon each other going down , the base is look as a wood chip treated and on long woodbeams to raiseit up with gaps apart each beam . paint on outside only with roof and felt on top

i will do my very best to get somepictres when im home

6. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    [​IMG]

found this on my phone from when we were building it hope it can help explain what wood we used and shape pfwalls if that means anything [​IMG]

sadly i have no knowlegde when it come to building i wish i did though

7. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    The walls are pine, the flooring is what would be considered particle board, as it's made from bits of wood glued together, rather than planks. Particle boards include OSB (what you have), chipboard and maybe ply (not sure on that one).

8. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank s for the info im realy bad knowledge at this sort of thing and to make it worse it JUST STARTED SNOWING !
    [​IMG]

9. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Snow's better to work with than rain! I haven't got any here yet, but my OH is working in the Peak District and says they have quite a bit!

I didn't know anything about building before coming on here lol. I looked into all of that when seeing about building a coop myself.

10. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    The seams of your walls are horizontal, and water hitting them isn't going to run down vertically like it wants to. Then if you have even a little unevenness this could trap more water. I would wait until all is dry, and do the caulking and painting I suggested. The floor is another issue. If it is getting water logged on a regular basis, this will soon begin to have effect on the OBS.
    But what I see in the photo is water seeping through the walls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by