1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to stop one chicken from injuring another?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Huskeriowa, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

Maybe I should have posted this in the injury forum but I thought it may be appropriate to put it here too. I have only six hens. One hen, a brahma has sores on her feet that I am sure come from one of the other hens pecking at her. She is not the top hen but is not at the bottom of the pecking order either. She is the most 'polite' of them all. I have also noticed that the meanest bird I have 'an easter egger mutt' is pecking at the red dried blood marks on the feet of the brahma.

Is there something that I can do to either change behavior of the biting chicken or to make the injured hen less likely to be pecked? The injured hen does not want to come out of the coop because of the bad hen that will bite her.

I dont really have an interest in using my hens for meat but I really detest bullies of all types... even hens. My thoughts are coming close to snapping the neck of the offender. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There are several things you can do:

1. Separate the offender for a week or two to make her lower in the pecking order. From my experience this is only temporary though.

2. Rooster Booster pick no more lotion or black salve (something that tastes bad to them) on the feet of the victim.

3. Pinless peepers for the offenders. (Chicken blinders)

4. Sell the offender or otherwise dispose of her

3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Thanks for the direct answers! I will try to find the salve at the store tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by