how to stop the fighting?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fraoch21, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    i have 2 adult coturnix quail and 6 7 week old quail. I tryed to introduce the younger quail slowly to the adult quails pen by putting them in a chicken wire pen inside their pen and it all seemed fine I left them for a few days and today i tryed to let the small quail loose in the adults pen. For some reason my male has a really bad dislike to them all, he chases them non stop and catches them and pecks them and batters them with his legs. I dont know how to stop them? ive seperated the male btu how on earth do i get them to live toegther nicely? He was fine with the other adults until 3 of them escaped and thats why ive got more now. please help? thanks

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Is Not Wise To Introduce Any New Birds To A Colony Until Mature And Full Sized

3. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ooh, ok thank you, didnt know that, ill keep them seperate untill they're the same size then [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    That Will Help Greatly... It Wont Stop The Fighting, But At Least They Will Be Old/ Big Enough To Run Or Protect Themselves. Many Times It Helps To Put All Birds (once Full Grown) Into A Pen That Is New To Everybody... This Breaks Any Territorial Boundaries That Have Been Estabolished And Helps Greatly As Well

5. ImTheRealElly

ImTheRealElly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    i have the same situation, but the babies are only a month old. they'e been in a chicken wire cage inside the big pen for 2 weeks. they look the same size as the adults but they are too young to put in with them yet. i'm wondering if we switched them and put the babies in the outer pen if it would make a difference when we put themtogether.

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    ELLY THAT MIGHT WORK [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by