How to stop the thumb sucking?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Marbleheader, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    My daughter turned 3 in August. Unlike our two boys, she's a bit of a devil child, always testing and pushing us. She does NOT like to be told what to do. How do we get her to stop sucking her thumb? It's a bit of a family problem as both my sister and my dad sucked their thumbs into their teens!

Curious how have people handled this problem?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    my kids nanny stuck their thumbs in hot sauce . . . I didn't know about it until years later and never would have approved . . . but it did work. They laugh about it now.

3. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Sometimes the more you pay something attention, the more certain children will engage in that behavior.

Three is very young. I would ignore it for now.

4. If you find a solution that works, please let me know cuz I have tried EVERYTHING imagionable on my 3 year old and has had NO LUCK at all! It's not the thumb that she sucks on, it's her "point" finger. My 1 year old is a thumb sucker too. Hot sauce doesn't work, not even the thumb sucking yucky thingy that we baught works. NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING!

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ha! I ignore it. I tried a few things once I found blisters on his fingers, but they didn't work. I tried bag balm and that thumb sucking nail polish. Neither worked worth a darn. Now, I just ignore it. Supposedly, the bag balm works very well, but, if a child is determined, then nothing is going to work.

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

we never had thumb sucking, my mom was mean and put tobasco on her little sister's thumb to make her stop. My son is almost 6 and wets the bed every night, thats our issue.

7. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Quote:This is definitely the advice we've been following until now, but the kids went to the dentist today and they could tell right away that she's a thumbsucker.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im one of those long term thumb suckers. For me its anxiety driven. I still do it unknowingly in my sleep if Im really stressed and Im 37. Even as a child, there was a lot of yelling and fighting in my family and I think thats why I held on to the habit as security. You could try replacing it was a reward when you can get her mind off it, try a blanket with a texture she likes or a special stuffed animal. I have heard the nail polish you can get for biting nails works, tastes terrible. But if it may be her way of comforting herself you may want to encourage replacing it with something.

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I sucked my thumb until I was 11. I used to do it when I read or watched tv. I made myself stop when I went to high school - I used to sit on my hand when we had to read in class in case I put my thumb in my mouth!! I would ignore it and let it stop naturally.

10. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    vinegar?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by