How to stop them from doing this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ForeverFree, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    I have 12 chickens. (11 pullets, 1 cockerel.)
    One of the pullets is always getting her tail pecked off, she literally has no tail at all.
    I looked up on the internet that I must keep the chickens occupied to redirect them from pecking her tail off.
    But even so, as soon as she grows a little feather on her tail, it is immediately pecked off by one of the tetra tints.
    So basically, the question is what can I do to stop them from doing this? And does anyone have any idea why they may be doing this?
    All help is thanked in advance. <3

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Could be as simple as what you feed them. Chickens need between 14 and 20% protein in their diet. How much does your feed contain? Another possibility is lice/mites. Pick a couple of them off the roost at night and look under the tail and around the vent area with a good flashlight. If one has them, they all do. It could be the pullet in question is lowest in the pecking order. Chickens need room and if they are even slightly crowded, then pecking is normal. If she is lowest in pecking order, she`s the natural target. Cold be other reasons, but these are the most common. check it out.......Pop

3. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Quote:Could be as simple as what you feed them. Chickens need between 14 and 20% protein in their diet. How much does your feed contain? Another possibility is lice/mites. Pick a couple of them off the roost at night and look under the tail and around the vent area with a good flashlight. If one has them, they all do. It could be the pullet in question is lowest in the pecking order. Chickens need room and if they are even slightly crowded, then pecking is normal. If she is lowest in pecking order, she`s the natural target. Cold be other reasons, but these are the most common. check it out.......Pop

Very good points.
    I feel them the Dumor Chick Starter Feed, and it has 24% protein.
    And I will definitely check for mites.
    Hopefully it's not them, even though I just made an order for DE yesterday.
    Thank you very much. :)

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Very good points.

I`ve found DE to be useless in poultry applications, even though some folks seem to love it. Sevin dust is safe and works well. Been using it all my life.....Pop

5. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    If they do not have any pests on them us Vick's Vapor Rub. Just smear it on the area of the one getting pecked. You might have to re apply for a few days or so.

6. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Quote:Very good points.

I`ve found DE to be useless in poultry applications, even though some folks seem to love it. Sevin dust is safe and works well. Been using it all my life.....Pop

Oh yeah? Never heard of Sevin Dust, but if DE doesn't work, I will switch to that.
    Thank you.

7. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Quote:Should I do it when she gets bloody and whatnot or should I just do it in general to help her tail grow?

8. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

I would rehome this bird. If they were all feather picking each other, I'd say it was a space problem or diet problem. Since it is one bird, I'd say she may never be able to compete for pecking order with your flock. Not fair to her and one has to wonder why they are picking on this one bird...maybe they know something you do not. In the wild the herd or flock will pick on or isolate a weak or sick member.

Never had such a problem in my flocks but this what I would do if I did....cull.

9. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Quote:Should I do it when she gets bloody and whatnot or should I just do it in general to help her tail grow?

DO NOT put Vicks on broken skin! It is mentholated and will BURN BURN BURN! Its more of a deterant and wont help heal wounds. It smells awful and its very strong smelling....I would imagine it tastes awful too [​IMG]

It might stop the pecking but don't put it on boo boos.

10. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    yes I agree if you can put something distastefull on her tail when it isn't raw it might help with the picking!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by