1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to store eggs to incubate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjachickn, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ninjachickn

ninjachickn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    texas
    Ok im gonna start building an incubator soon.what is the best way to store the eggs to get enough to incubate. I want to try atleast 10 I only have one hen atthe moment. She will lay two days then skip a day so it will take me atleast two weeks to get ten eggs is this to long to wait to start all the eggs at the same time? Or should I go with less eggs.im planing on adding two more hens soon.should I just wait till then to try it?

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Your eggs should still be fine at 2 weeks. I've hatched 3 week old eggs but that would be max. Good luck on your incubator. :)

3. redjackson

redjackson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    South Central KY
    Sorry not trying to hijack your thread but ive been wondering myself[​IMG]....do you keep them in the fridge untill your ready or on the counter?

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    No such thing as hijacking here at byc!! Store your eggs at room temp. Don't put in fridge!

5. redjackson

redjackson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    South Central KY
    Thank you suebee...Im hoping for a hen to go broody soon.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We store in the basement, at 58F. Cooler seems better to us. We store the eggs in an egg carton, using a block of wood to lift one end of the carton, then the other end, three times a day. It has worked well for us. We don't like to load eggs over 10 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by