How to store excess fermented feed?

backyardfarmgirl

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
Michigan
We are supposed to get our chicks tomorrow.. 7 of them. I started my first batch of fermented feed today and I think I made WAY too much for just a few chicks! I made 1/3 of a 5-gal bucket. So my question is, should I wait the 3-4 days for the initial ferment to be complete and then refrigerate a bunch of it? I know technically you can probably leave it out for awhile but I'm keeping it inside due to cold temps and don't want it to get too smelly.

I'm using the "backslopping" method if that helps. The plan is to do an initial 3-4 day ferment and then after that just keep mixing in new feed/water every few days.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't have an answer as to how long you can safely store it and feed it (lots of variables) I would say chicken feed is cheap, and if any of your feed is questionable (ever) toss it.

I will jump in and say my 5 adult laying pullets can/will eat approximately 3 cups dry food fermented in a day. When I ferment I use half gallon mason jars and that is plenty big to ferment enough feed for 5 adult birds. In future, fermenting too little is not a big deal because you can always give them some more dry food if needed, fermenting too much, you can probably safely feed leftovers up to day 5 (in some cases, this is not a hard and fast rule), but you risk waste/spoilage.

Good luck with your new chickens! It's going to be fun!

I'm not an expert but I've heard you can freeze it. Hopefully someone who is certain comes along.

In my experience that will be way stinky before they can ever eat it up. I love fermenting, I go through very little feed for my 19.

Fyi, once you have a starter ferment backslopping produces nice puffy FF within about 12 hours, give or take. I feed twice, AM and PM, then backslop, ready by morning.

Enjoy the babies when they come!

Thanks for all the details on amounts everyone! I'm terrible at estimating (obviously) so I appreciate all of your concrete examples. It's going to take some adjusting feeding them fresh feed each day. With our last batch of chickens we just had a feeder with dry food that lasted about a week.

Thanks for all the details on amounts everyone! I'm terrible at estimating (obviously) so I appreciate all of your concrete examples. It's going to take some adjusting feeding them fresh feed each day. With our last batch of chickens we just had a feeder with dry food that lasted about a week.
i made way too much for my chickens.....so i just put it in days ration in freezer bags and hope to rid of it fast, then i will start all over again and only use a gallon jug instead of 5 gal bucket....wish i knew...but they are liking it more and more every day

should I wait the 3-4 days for the initial ferment to be complete and then refrigerate a bunch of it?
It depends on whether you have more room in the fridge or freezer. It will continue to ferment v e r y slowly in the fridge, so you could take it out before the 3 days, let it slowly finish in the fridge and buy some time like that. :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy Freezer works too.

It depends on whether you have more room in the fridge or freezer. It will continue to ferment v e r y slowly in the fridge, so you could take it out before the 3 days, let it slowly finish in the fridge and buy some time like that. :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy Freezer works too.
BUT....i am confused now....if the fermented feed only lasts 5 days, why do you keep adding more feed to the jar that you have just taken it out...how long does that cycle go on for, because now that jar has more then expired the 5 day expiration

Think of it like sourdough starter. Some people claim to have jars of starter they have been adding to for decades. If it gets putrid, toss it and start again.
I do the backslop method mostly because it is easier to just have one bucket going and not having to keep track of different buckets at different stages.

Back
Top Bottom