How to successfully hatch shipped duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenpal147, Apr 15, 2019.

Have you hatched shipped eggs?

Poll closed Monday at 4:38 PM.
  1. Yes. Had an amazing hatch rate.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes. Had a terrible hatch rate.

100.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    I have hatched shipped eggs before but haven’t had good hatches. I just received my duck eggs that I purchased on eBay, any tips on how to have a decent hatch rate are appreciated.

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Totally depends on eggs and how your hatching so definitely more information needed. Type of incubator etc...

3. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    It’s one of those styrofoam incubators (don’t know the brand) It is still Air. I will be hand turning 3 times a day. I might also put a few under my broody hen just to see what happens.

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely a Broody will hatch better than us so if a Broody is available then go for it ..

5. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Not necessarily. If the air cells are detached they need to be incubated in the upright position. Putting them on their side is not good for eggs with detached air cells because the chicks will have a harder time pipping internally. I would suggest putting them in the incubator in the bottom half of an egg carton. To turn them, wedge something under one side of the carton to tilt them to one side, wedge them on the other side to tilt them the other way and then for the third turning, leave them flat.

123RedBeard and WVduckchick like this.
  6. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
  7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    I've incubated a number of shipped eggs and have, overall, had good results to date (and more eggs are on the way!). This article has detailed information you may find helpful.

Edited to add: specifically for waterfowl eggs, this is a very helpful guide. Also, more specifics on cooling and misting here. I cool and mist my duck and goose eggs, and I think it's beneficial.

Good luck!

8. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    Should I let the eggs rest before putting them in the incubator. I just received them today.

9. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Yes, I would let them rest in the upright position for at least 12-24 hours.

WVduckchick likes this.
  10. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Songster

Apr 8, 2013
    Eggs went in the incubator last night. I hope I get some ducklings out of them. I’m also going to give my broody some eggs when there are 21 days left so I have some baby chickens at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: