How to supply bath water in the winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mynewbabies, Aug 10, 2013.

1. mynewbabies

mynewbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    Is it necessary to supply bath water in the winter for our pekin ducks. They love their pools, but how could you do it, freezing temperatures. They all stay in coop with chickens. I know they drink a lot . How much do they really need.?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I use a heated 5 gal bucket with a board across the top plus a brick atop that, so that the bucket can only be used for drinking, not bathing. If temperatures are really cold, then my opinion is bathing is less of a concern as long as my ducks can dunk their heads. That being said, on a warmish day, I will haul some bath water out for them, but honestly full baths are rare here in winter.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here too Holly, I have a cement mixing tub that I use in the winter and when we have a nice day in upper 30's i will fill it for them to bath in. I have to fill it many times so everyone can get a quick bath. I agree though heated buckets so they can dunk their heads in is the way to go, I just need convince my gander they are not his personal bathing buckets. [​IMG]

4. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    I would like to see your cement mixing tub If you have a pic of it. How do you keep it heated?
    This may work for me also.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'll find a pic I got mine at TSC I don't heat it. I just bring it out on days when about 35*

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came across this, and I know I have seen where folks use these kind of deicers in their pools since our spring id frozen in the winter, and I have to use our well for water and clean up I don't use the 100gal pool for the waterfowl. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...ting-stock-tank-deicer-1250-watt?cm_vc=-10005 after looking all through TSC website I finally had to go ut and take pics of my tub. I've had this one about 4 years and it has held up really well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    I really appreciate you going through all the trouble to show me a pic , I will look for it the next time I am in TSC! As I feel like I live there we are there a lot :)
    We have 8 pekin ducks and 5 call mallards which the mallards are separate from the others, because they are so small, but they do get to play together with supervision. I really want them to be able to play some, winter can be long and boring sometimes. Thanks again .

8. mynewbabies

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    Also do your ducks and chickens live together or seperate ? mine are together.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They don't sleep together the chickens have their own side of the house with a wall and door separating them from the ducks. the door has chicken wire in it for air flow all the way through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by