1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tag baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New Momma, Feb 20, 2015.

1. New Momma

New Momma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    We just got some new baby chicks added to the farm! We got 6 pullets from Tractor supply again and they're absolutely precious! Second year raising baby chicks and our current grown up babies couldn't be happier with their life here on the goat farm. I want to be able to tell or current baby chicks apart and our tractor supply doesn't sell the little plastic leg ties. They're also black chickens so food coloring and the cattle markers won't show up on their little bodies. Any ideas?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could order leg bands online. Or you can see if your local TSC carries the tool for toe punching. If you got that route, pick one batch of chicks (the youngest might be best) and punch out a hole in the webbing between their toes. Wing bands are another option, but they also require punching the ID tag, just through the wing.

Some much cheaper, less permanent options are zip ties and bread ties. Just zip or twist them around one leg, just above the foot. Leave some growing room and remember to check them often. They'll need to be taken off and replaced as the birds grow :)
    Good luck!

3. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I have seen people just use colored zip ties just make sure to check them often and cut and replace as they grow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by