How to take care of light brahma injured in face and can't see?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vetgirl00us, Apr 6, 2011.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Had something scale an 8 ft fence and take one of my jersey pullets but whatever it was it looked like it tried to take my light brahma cockerel first and maybe it was too big or strong or something. We found him smushed into the wire, looks like he's been in a bar fight. His face and head and wattles are all beat up and swollen, his eyes were swollen shut and he acted like he was going to die the first day- I guess he was super stressed. Also had nystagmus (dizziness) due to trauma to the head I guess. I've been mixing a protein powder with probiotic formula and water and honey and putting about 20cc down him a few times a day but I know I can't keep up with the demands of a growing large fowl. One eye was cracked open a tad today but if he can see, his vision is blurry and he wouldn't eat the scratch feed I offered him. His poop is getting green with alot of the white urates in it so I"m racing the clock here trying to get him better before he runs out of "gas." Anyone know of anything else I can do? He had a shot of dura pen and B complex the first day but I've got to get him where he can see or I'm going to lose him. Need advice please.

2. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    You can use terramycin antibiotic eye ointment on his eyes to help prevent infection. Try rinsing them with saline solution first, then apply the antibiotic. Does he have a favorite treat that he might eat? Mealworms or oatmeal and yogurt? My rooster likes cat kibbles. I hope he gets better.

3. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    He usually is a great eater. I just think he can't see. Only one eye is barely open and I'm wondering if his vision is just too blurry to see to eat the food. I'm think on taking him to the vet tomorrow ( i used to work there so they won't hit me too hard with charges) for some sub Q fluids and maybe I'll give him a vitamin mixture and try to put a mash slurry down him if he still wont eat. Poor fellow, if only he could talk, it's obvious whatever happened, he went thru hell.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You could try giving him egg -and syring it into him - his throat/beak may be sore making it hard to eat.

5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    LIke a raw egg yolk?

6. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I made some cream of wheat tonight really runny with milk and honey in it and also added some liquid vitamns I had, just a tad and got about two oz down him. He's opening one eye but still runs into things. I hope the head trauma hasn't rendered him blind. he was in the pen with his girls today and that's the perkiest I've seen him but I put back in the garage tonight since he can't roost yet. I'm hoping he'll pull through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by