1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to take care of speckled sussex chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lillypurrs23, Sep 6, 2010.

1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Could you give me some tips on taking care of day old speckled sussex chicks?[​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I suspect it's the same as other chicks! [​IMG]
    Chick Start & Water available 24/7
    You can feed them boiled and scrambled eggs for extra protein. [​IMG]
    You may also want to add some sand for grit. [​IMG]

3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    We raised ours the same time as our EE and PBR. (The post above is the way!) Good luck!

4. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Well, if it's the same as other chicks, then can I have some tips on how to take care of baby chicks? [​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

6. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

Put the chicks in the brooder as soon as you bring them home. Promptly give them water to drink. You can mix 1 teaspoon of sugar to 1 quart to help reduce stress and give them instant energy. Then, after they are pretty relaxed give them fresh water... Thats what I'm gonna do anyway... [​IMG]

Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] What are their names going to be?

oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  7. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks everyone, for your help so far!
    We're only getting 2, so I get to name one and so does my brother. I'm naming mine Nellie. [​IMG]

8. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Congratulations!
    I have Speckled Sussex that I raised from chicks and they were adorable as babies. They are beautiful birds as adults too [​IMG]

Are you getting only two chicks because your parents don't want to get more? I would recommend getting at least 3, in case something happens to one of them. Chickens are very social flock animals and I've heard that chicks on their own get really lonely and don't do well. Often their owners have to buy diapers and turn them into a house chicken (maybe that would be good information to share with your parents? or not.) It sounds like your chicks will get a whole lot of love and great care, but sometimes you'll get a chick that just doesn't thrive, and there's nothing you can do. Having 3 or 4 girls isn't really different from 1 or 2 in terms of noise or care imo, and you'd be sure they always had company [​IMG]

9. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have some Speckled Sussex hens and one of them follows me around telling me all of the barnyard gossip. She is such a blabbermouth. I love them--they are so-o-o pretty.

[​IMG]

10. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    We ended up getting 4! Rosy, Nellie, Jasmine, and Ariel! They are so cute![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by