1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How to take care oh the eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by timriley0927, Jul 27, 2014.

1. timriley0927

timriley0927 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    My question is after I collect eggs how do I store them and how long before they spoil

2. bobshere

bobshere Songster

They are good out of the fridge for at least 2 months...but they will last longer in the fridge. If you need to wash them use only Luke warm water. For me I put them in the fridge and wash them before I use them if needed. I haven't had a dirt egg yet.

3. michael1003

michael1003 Chirping

Apr 29, 2014
    We leave ours on the counter. Good for 4 weeks or more

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Our home is air-conditioned so I leave them on the counter for the day because I sell hatching eggs... Once the day is done and I have no orders I put them in the fridge... I rarely have to wash my eggs because I clean out nesting boxes each morning before they start laying... (I have a few die hards that refuse to roost instead preferring to roost in front of the nesting boxes) If an egg has a spot I gently wipe it off... The bloom is important to egg longevity, I have heard if that gets washed off eggs doesn't last as long..

If I were only collecting a few a day and only for my family Leaving them on the counter would be an option, but I gather upwards of 20+ eggs a day and sell hatching and eating eggs, my egg eating customers prefer them to be refrigerated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: