How to tame an adult guinea?

mamaKate

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
SE MO
I have a (relatively) tame male guinea and I'd like to get him a wife. He's such a spoiled baby, I wonder if a flock raised hen would be aggressive with him. Is it possible to teach her his basics? He knows his name, understands "Go to your room ", thinks I'm his mom and mostly comes when I call him. Might it go the other way and he would become wilder?

JMO, but I doubt she would be aggressive with him, especially if you can get a young Hen, like around 12-16 weeks old that doesn't already have an established mate of her own within the flock she's been raise with. She will most likely want to be with or at least near your boy, since she will be missing her flock. His behavior may change a little bit tho, being that he will have a Hen to focus on and be protective over, especially once they bond and breed.

I would not ever expect her to be as tame as he is, but she may tame down considerably once she sees how he relates to you, and especially if she sees you giving him goodies/treats all the time. Guineas tend to feed off the energy of other birds they are kept with, be it high energy or low energy... which is why a lot of Guineas that have been raised by and with chickens are a lot calmer than atypical flighty Guinea. So if your male is calm, hopefully she will be too, eventually.

I would not just get a Guinea Hen and turn her loose with your boy tho, you'd at least want to cage/pen her where they can see each other and interact thru wire for at least a few weeks before letting her loose. If she's aggressive thru the wire at 2 weeks, wait longer... sometimes it takes a while for birds to get used to each other.

Forgot to mention that besides the fact that she needs to be penned until she gets to know your boy, it's also a good idea to not let her out until you know for sure she's not going to take off looking for her old flock... and take your boy with her!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom