1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How to Tame Chicks The Easy Way

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeckyBird, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Songster

May 11, 2008
    I've been raising chicks for years now, and I think there is an easy way to keep them tame and sweet.

Usually, I've always used a brooder for chicks, either a cardboard box or a rubbermaid type container. Well, with this batch of chicks, I've decided to use my old rabbit cage. The side walls are wire, with a wire bottom. There is still a heat lamp, and I've made sure they are warm enough. The cage is in the kitchen, which is a high traffic area of the house. So, every day, the chicks see us. With your typical brooders, the walls are high, and the chicks only see you out of the top when you walk by. That can be kind of scary! But with the cage style, they see you all day long. You can also feed the chicks treats through the wire walls, so they learn that every time you walk by, you might feed them.

I have to say, these chicks are the tamest ones I've ever had. I know chicks usually tame up after they are older, but these guys are already there! I want to recommend "cage brooding" if you want an easy way to tame your chicks--without having to take them out and handle them daily. This way, they see you so much, that you are not viewed as a big scary monster lol!

Here is a photo of my cage setup, with my daughter playing with the chicks. I don't know who is more interested in whom!

[​IMG]

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I really like this idea. [​IMG] Maybe I'll change my brooder out and move it tomorrow! I bet they get more used to your voice this way too. What kind of treats are you giving them?

3. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Songster

May 11, 2008
    Oh my goodness, they go nuts for scrambled eggs. I have lots of eggs from my Jerseys, and we can't eat them all. So the chicks get some too. But beware, they will jump all over each other for the treats!
    I also feed them throughout the day. When their dish is empty, I open the door and refill it. So they have learned that I=food. And we all know the quickest way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. Now, when they see me walk by, they all come to the door and wait. Man, I really do love these babies!

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That's awesome... and so simple too! For some reason my girls aren't too interested in boild eggs right now. Past chicks just thoght they were the best! Maybe I will try to scrable some for them. I know that you must adore them! How could anyone not?

5. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Songster

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Quote:Aww! Mine are definitely not that tame, and I even work at home! When I do anything near their house, they scream bloody murder and take off.
    I made the same type brooder, cause anytime i'd come near my cardboard box, it was like a bunch of mice scurrying for shelter. I also put it up more near my height so they didnt see me so giant!

I gave my chicks (2 wk old with maybe 5 day olds) some bread dipped in milk. Boy you wouldve thought i'd never fed them before. They were jumping on each other, stealing it from one chicks beak then running to the other side of the brooder, it looked like the chick olympics! They wouldnt even eat the bread because they'd be running around in circles playing keep away. I even saw one tiny bantam pulling another teeny tiny bantam by it's wing, wing in beak! He carried it like half a foot! [​IMG]
    I was cracking up, then scared that meanie off and went to go get some more bread!

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I made a big brooder 30 inches x 4 ft with a window on one end so they could see out. With the summer heat, I replaced one side with screening so they can see out 2 sides now. Our dog loves it and often lays in front of the brooder and watches her babies.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Good idea! I think that them being able to see you comming instead of just 'appearing' as a big thing towering over them is a really good idea.

8. glenny

glenny In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    What a loving approach! I am so eager to get started with my flock...
    Thanks for the insightful advice.

9. chicknerd

chicknerd Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Nice brooder.

I take my clear rubbermaid type brooder everywhere I go around the house so the chicks are always near me. I make sure they are handled a lot as well. Seems to work as they are not so skittish. My one set of chicks I did not do this with are the only ones that dont let me pick them up now. The rest are 15-20 weeks old now. Just had to get a few more (darn chicken math!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by