How to tame Muscovys???

Mariella posey

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
I hope this is where this thread belongs.
I've been told time and time again that Muscovies are like puppies but here I am with flighty and frightful birds... I've tried feeding them near me and out of my hand but otherwise how do I tame them? I have babies that are around a month old and they hate me! I had to take them from their mother at 3 days old because of predation and Mama kept stepping on them in a pen so I was hoping they would like me more.
Any help is appreciated!

I'm not a duck expert but my best friend has one male muscovy. He follows you around the yard hissing and wagging his butt whenever you're outside. He grew up with other ducks, chickens, and turkeys that lived in chicken tractors and then eventually free-ranged. He knows where his food bowl is but mostly I think he just likes being part of the action. I don't think they did anything special to make him friendly.

All birds seem to get a little flighty when a few weeks to a month, but my Muskovys are the least flighty. What are the parents like? Hopefully they will calm down as they get older.

What are the parents like? Hopefully, they will calm down as they get older.

The father to the ducklings is a sweet boy but he doesn't like being picked up or pet, you can observe him from a few feet away but nothing else. The mother was raised on a pond like a wild bird, other than they had a feeding schedule, and you can't get within 15 feet of her before she flys away. I was really hoping to have some friendly Muscoies this year because I love them and I want to pet them!

Back
Top Bottom