1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tame them

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 9farmgirl9, Jun 21, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I have 4 pekin ducks. When they were little they were so tame they'd follow me everywhere, but now when they see me they run. I only got them because pekins were suppose to make good pets. What's wrong.

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

For them to be good pets you have to spend alot of time with them. I have 2 indian runners that are pretty tame. They love to be pet and cuddle and even jump up on the couch next to me to lay with me. I got them when they were 3 days old and they were always out with me when i was not at work. I got home i would give them a small bath and then take them with me everywhere i went and even when they were younger they always wanted to be next to me and follow me around. They are now full grown and dont follow me around as much unless i take them to a new place. Then they are always right next to me. And they also only like to me be pet and held when they feel like it. not all the time like when they were younger but they are still very friendly

3. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pekins (ducks in general) are good pets. But most grow out of the cute, cuddly phase kinda quick. Unless you're out there with them all day, every day then they will eventually do their own thing. Out of 25, I only have one that likes to be touched or doesn't care if I come near them, and several of them I've had since they were little.

4. Angsminizoo

Angsminizoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I have the same problem [​IMG] I have 5 ducks, 3 of which are pekins and only one of them is partly tame. The partly tame one is a still a baby (2 months) and I hatched him. He is also only friendly when I have food, HE IS A PIG!!!!!! So I just bribe him with food when I want to pet him [​IMG] Hopefully he doesn't grow up to run from me like the others or doesn't grow up over weight .....

5. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Hahaha i think all pekins are over weight, lol

6. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:i spend quite a lot of time with my four muscovy ducklings that i got at 3 days old and are now 6 days old. sometimes i don't have as much time during the day though, is it ok to let them sleep on me at night while i watch tv to get that extra time in that i miss on the days i'm busy or should i just let them sleep in the brooder? i want to spend as much time as possible with them so they stay friendly [​IMG]

7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:i spend quite a lot of time with my four muscovy ducklings that i got at 3 days old and are now 6 days old. sometimes i don't have as much time during the day though, is it ok to let them sleep on me at night while i watch tv to get that extra time in that i miss on the days i'm busy or should i just let them sleep in the brooder? i want to spend as much time as possible with them so they stay friendly [​IMG]

They were out ever night with me watching tv. I would lay a towel across me and they would cuddle up and fall asleep. So would i most of the time lol. When they were awake they would alway want to play and want attention from me. Get in all the time you can even if that means cuddling up on the couch everynight watching tv. just keep them near you. As soon as they were big enough they started following me around (2 weeks) and jump off the couch if i got up or went anywhere they had to come with. Just get in as much time as you can no matter what you are doing. I have 3 q week olds and they are terrified of me because i have been super busy and not spending time with them. But these guys are out door ducks so its not a big worry to me. Good luck with your ducks!!!!

8. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    thanks soooo much!!! [​IMG]

9. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    As the first poster stated, ducks grow out of that stage quick. they are like little kids who always want to be with their parents, to teenagers who want to be as far away as possible. here is the "phases" is see in my flock:
    1, the duckling who love to be held and such.
    2, the feathering out stage, they become less and less interested in being touched.
    3, the adult stage of, if they catch me, I will DIE!!!!!! ( running away the minute that they see anyone)
    4, the " senior" phase ( my favorite), they are around 3 years old, and either they just don't car anymore, or they realize that your not going to hurt them, and you can walk right up, they won't run way, and you can just pick them up.

10. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I do tat with my baby chicks. I put a wash cloth down and make a little wall right by my mouth anf blow hot air on the chick/s. they love it. And i no this is dangerous, but we had a hudge snowstorm and our power was out for awhile so i got a towel put it right next to me on my be and made it into bowl shape with a top and i blew hot air in there. and it stayed warm all night, and the chicks lived. Lol and one time i fell asleep with them sleeping on me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by