how to tamme a rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DannyUpchurch, Dec 18, 2009.

1. DannyUpchurch

DannyUpchurch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I just recently got into the chicken buisness. I started with 4 ees 14 rir and some bantams. All I have got are like pets even the rir roo. Well about a week ago I was with a friend at one of his uncles houses and the man was killing these roos one after another. I ran out there to see what was going on and he said it was his fighting birds. He said the birds where not what he expected them to be and couldn't use them. I told him I would take the rest if he would let me have them. O and to let yall know I don't believe in fighting roosters. Anyways once i got them home i realized that i couldn't put them together and had to seperate each one. So I just put them on some string like he had them and built them all little houses. Lot cheaper than building 15 pens. Now that they feel at home every time I go out to feed or water them they attack me. I mean attack to. stick spurs in a number of times and they bite like no other bird Ive touched. The draw blood and take out chunks. I been tryn to hand feed them and hold them every day since i trimmed there spurs. They seem to be getting meaner. I should have just let the guy finish the job I guess. Is there anyway to calm them down. I have children to worry about. or should I just get rid of them?

2. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Get rid of them. Unfortunatley, once a roo goes "mean" there is a very slim chance of getting nice again. Especially seeing as how these roosters were raised as fighting birds. They haven't gained that human trust relationship and are probably too far gone. They will never be tame enough to allow to roam free; they will attack you, your kids, and attack and kill any other chickens they can get to. And if you think about it, even though you saved them from death, what kind of a life is it to live on a rope? I think it would be awfull if a preditor got to them and they were tied up and not able to defend themselves. I know that you were trying to do the right thing by them, but the damage has already been done, as sad as it may be. So, my suggestion is to give them away or "cull" them yourself.

I HATE chicken fighting!!!!!!!!!! It is sooooo cruel.

3. CHICKENBOY 1

CHICKENBOY 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    i'd have to say if there game cocks theres not much you can do.but thatsthere way of telling you whose boss so you sould try hiting them hangig themupside down by there feet to show them whose boss kicking them will even work in some cases. if non of this stuff works try puting them with anouther stronger roo for him to put them in there plase. it sonds lick cock fiting but it isn't it maby there last hope to be tame.
    [​IMG]

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    There needs to be a show on a chicken whisperer who puts bad chickens/roosters in line... COMMON ANIMAL PLANET!!!

5. 5.0 Clunker

5.0 Clunker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    Ex figting birds are pretty uch useless aside to burn feed, you cant eat them,and they have to kept by themselfs I have four roos that I keep around for looks. I had a whole lot more but I just couldn't keep them any more.

6. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Our big orpington rooster started getting aggressive when he reached full maturity and became head roo. He used to attack with his spurs (which were luckily still pretty dull), as well as biting with his beak (sometimes breaking the skin).

Anyway, I started picking him up and holding him whenever he attacked. At first, putting his head under my arm to prevent him from biting. I repeated this over and over until he stayed calm when I let him down. If he got uppity again, I'd start the process all over. Also, to stop him from biting, I'd stick my hands in his face and grab his beak whenever he tried to bite me. (You may want to wear gloves in the beginning.)

This "retraining" took all summer, but I have to tell you, he's a well-mannered bird today! Once in a while, he gets upset about something and tries a half-hearted attack... but he immediately calms down once he's picked up. (My son thinks he secretly likes the attention but is too proud to show it, so he acts naughty to get me to pick up and pet him.)

Now, this rooster was always treated well by people, and I think he is a nice bird at heart. I don't know if it's possible to rehabilitate roosters once they've become accustomed to such horrible conditions as cock-fighting. However, these methods might be useful if you want to try. If you are successful in building their trust and earning their respect, be sure to have other family members enforce the rules in a similar fashion. Early on, it became apparant that our roo was responding to me appropriately, but still reacted aggressively to my husband and sons. Therefore, it was necessary for them to exert their own dominance, as well. I'd still be cautious around young children and other animals.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! [​IMG]

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I think it is great that you decided to try to save them. I have to agree with some others though, they probably are too far gone. Like some have said you could attempt to tame them. However 15 roosters are a lot to carry around upside down and teach them to play nice!! I would suggest keeping an eye on them and finding out a bit about their personalities. Chances are there will be a choice few you may really like or see potential in. Save those and focus your efforts there. Then dispose of the rest. Mean roosters make the best soup or Sunday supper. Good luck!

8. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    thechickenchick has a very good point... The method I used for our pet rooster is very time consuming! I'm glad I did it, especially since he had other good qualities as a flock leader and provider for his hens, that I felt were worth preserving. Rehabilitating all 15 fighting birds (assuming that's even possible) is a HUGE undertaking. For the sake of conserving the available resources and to make the best use of your well-intentioned energies, I'd have to agree with the notion of narrowing down your "good samaritanism" to a few "choice" candidates, that show the most potential in returning your affections (or at least responding to your threats). [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The only way to tame a fighting cock is ROOSTER VALIUM!![​IMG]

10. chickenmamalp

chickenmamalp Chillin' With My Peeps

God forbid the kids ever get attacked!!!!!!!!!!!
    I say with sorrow, it's not worth the chance. They have to go.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by