1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

how to teach my chicken to lay in their nest boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by narwhal master, Jul 23, 2013.

1. my chickens will start laying soon and i want to teach them to lay in their nest boxes

how can i do that [​IMG]

2. kkowa

kkowa Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    most hens will lay in the boxes by themselves but maybe try putting in a fake egg that usually helps! Best of luck and welcome to byc![​IMG]

3. thanks, and by "fake eggs" do u mean the ones people get for easter or the ones that have tiny plastic lizards in them that u get at the dollar store

4. Those are too light and usually get pushed out. You can buy ceramic and wooden eggs at the craft store but gold balls work just fine and are easier to find. Are your chickens free range?

5. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chirping

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    My chickens are free range and will begin laying soon, so I was wondering the same thing. problem is they still aren't roosting and have taken to sleeping in two of the nesting boxes (they're 10 weeks old) How do I get them to lay in the nesting boxes? I have 4 built into the walls of the coop and two large baskets that I've places pine shavings in for them to use if they like. But I'm afraid they will lay in the bushes at the bottom of my yard and that will make things difficult.

6. I am going to start them with a coop and a run and then let them free range when they are laying eggs and I have enough fence to surround my yard

7. What worked for me was to wait until they start to lay or when it seems very close and then don't allow them to free range until they are laying in their nest boxes. Usually a few days. Once one or two are using the boxes the others usually follow. Then they will generally return to lay their eggs where they feel safe. It depends on your set-up but I have a coop with a large run so they can be confined for long periods if I am so inclined.

As far as sleeping in them: Make sure the boxes are lower than their roost so they are no inclined to sleep in them. If your birds are only 10 weeks old. you may want to block the boxes until they are closer to 20 weeks.

8. locoguru

locoguru Chirping

Mar 28, 2013
    The nesting boxes should be blocked off until they are of laying age. No sleeping in those boxes allowed!

9. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chirping

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    They are lower than the roosts, so I will block them off and see if that helps, thank you for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: