How to teach them to lay in the nesting boxes?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johndeerematt, Oct 13, 2013.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    It seems that all but two or three of the ladies have figured out how to use the nesting boxes. Consistently about two or three eggs on the floor. Anybody have some good ideas on training?

2. babyfoot

babyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

I use plastic eggs and in the mornings sit the new hen on top of it in nesting box, they soon get the message, especially if there are other older hens already laying

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

-Older hens will apply peer pressure.
    -Fake eggs do help.
    -Lower nests better fit their instinct as ground layers.
    -Having a light snap on precisely at 6 am, everyday seems to click them into a regular schedule.

4. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Oh I forgot to say I already have fake eggs in every box and some golf balls (also to simulate eggs)

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    How many nesting boxes do you have per flock number? I sometimes get an egg on the floor when the top hen or a broodie is in the box and a lower one isn't brave enough to muscle in there as well.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you ever potty trained a baby? It's sort of like that. Watch for them to show signs of getting ready to go in to lay an egg. They usually start muttering in a fussy way, pacing around in the general area of the coop.

When they go inside and begin to scratch around on the floor, making a spot to lay, pick them up and place them in a nest box. If they jump back out and start scratching around on the floor again, place them back in the nest box.

It doesn't take much of this for them to get the idea.

7. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    I have 25 hens apx and 12 boxes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by