how to tell a ducks age

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmom19, Apr 28, 2017.

1. duckmom19

duckmom19 Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    New Brighton
    [​IMG]

the lady I bought her from said her and her brother were 1 year old. I don't think they are. she looks more like a duckling then a 1 year old...my moms friend told her they are only a couple of weeks

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Duckling and only about 3 weeks old...?...;)

3. duckmom19

duckmom19 Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    New Brighton
    thanks so much!! I knew she was younger then 1 Lol

4. chickens really

It still has Duckling down..;)....They grow feathers soon...By 8 weeks they are almost all feathered....:)

5. duckmom19

duckmom19 Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    New Brighton
    awe Lol. thanks for the info I didn't even know that about their feathers lol

6. chickens really

How would you?...Best wishes ..:)..What are you feeding it?...It will need proper feed..Water to dunk its head in to keep its nares and eyes clear and possibly niacin so it does not fail..

7. duckmom19

duckmom19 Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    New Brighton
    it's a ducking food i got it at tractor supply. and yes she has a bowl she loves to dunk her head and her feet lol only think I get nervous about is she refuses to sleep away from me so she doesn't use a heat lamp she just cuddles with me lol

8. chickens really

Your a good Mom..Although it will need another Duckling...Ducks are social and suffer without friends..A mirror will help with it learning to separate from you until you get another Duckling..

9. duckmom19

duckmom19 Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    New Brighton
    thank you so much :) yea I originally had 2 but my mom took her brother cuz she only wanted him around for so long. she sees her brother everyday tho. should I still get another?

10. chickens really

Get her Brother Back...They are bonded and do not understand you separating them..:(...Ducks are smart Birds..:).....They would be happier together..:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by