How to tell a ROO at an early age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hopefulloflove, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Someone mentioned on another post about early signs that a chick is a roo...can anyone tell me more about this? I'd be intersted to know!

Thanks!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Their combs get red earlier. Pullets have two rows of flight feathers and roos have one.;-)

3. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    ok....Thanks! [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'll post a picture:

Stan the Man at 4 weeks with bread in his beak with one of his sisters giving chase.

[​IMG]

Note his comb is larger and has more color.

5. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I see that! Thanks, that really helps!!

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I've been using the tail feather method. Females grow their tail feathers in quicker. So if you have 10 chicks: 6 with nice long tails and 4 without, then most likely those 4 are roosters. So far it has worked for me.

7. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    tail feathers too..ok! Thank you!!

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    All of the "tells" work better when you're comparing birds of the same breed. Things like stature, comb changes, growth rates, and coloration differences are all more obvious with a larger group. If you're getting a mixed flock with only one or a few of each breed, it will be a whole lot more difficult to pick out the roos. If you also add in the mutt factor ("breeds" that are actually mixes) it can get even harder.

For example, my Easter Egger cockerel grew his tail the same as the EE pullets did. The tell on him was an early-pinking comb and red splotches on his back. My Speckled Sussex pullet had no tail for ages, pinked her comb and grew wattles at 4 weeks, and has a TON of iridescence in her black. All of those things are considered roo signs and since she was the only SS, I was very worried. But she's all girl after all.

OH, and then there are the old wives' tales... things like how they hold their legs if you pick them up by the neck. Those are about 50% accurate. [​IMG]

9. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thank you!

10. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I put a tv remote within view. If they run up to it and refuse to share, it's a male.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by