1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell a roo from a hen in buff orphingtons?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cgjsmith, Apr 17, 2007.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Please forgive my misspellings:) i have four buff orphingtons. They are around 10 or 11 weeks. fully featherd but a bit on the small side. Of the three I could catch all had red things growing on their chins. I thought that was a sign of a roo? But surly my luck wouldn't be so bad as to get 3 roosters out of the four chicks we picked out!! LOL Crystal

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, all chickens have wattles. Roosters just have much larger ones and they usually turn very red by now. Larger comb as well.

3. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    A few things I've observed early on: First thing is, Roos combs and wattles grow much bigger, faster. As far as I have see with Hens/pullets, they are slightly lighter in color. I also kind of think of the femmes as wearing kind of an old fashioned dress. The ones where the butts of their dress stick up, maybe because of all the padding.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. cgjsmith

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    a bussel you mean. ok I et a picture I think I'll take pictures tomorrow and get ya'll opinion. Crystal

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] DH and I call it a pedi coat!

6. cgjsmith

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    My husband (and i in another life time) is a civil war reenactor (no were not redneck, racist or part of the KKK [​IMG] So I know alot about peticoats LOL I didn't get the pictures taken , for some reason my husband thought the house needed cleaning. no idea why. LOL Crystal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by