How to tell a Roo from a Hen on a Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MTtroutwithwings, Jun 19, 2008.

1. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    I have a 12 week old buff silkie and I'm trying to determine the sex. This little one has a walnut comb above it's beak which I haven't seen on a hen (by pictures only) is this any clue? Is my "Missy" a Mister? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If one has a comb and the rest don't it's probably a roo.
    Like Pinenot told me, roos get more wing feathers and tail feathers. Roos get these spikey hairs coming out of their poof, hens don't, their poof stays smooth. But the best way is if it crows it's a roo. If it lays an egg, it's a hen.

3. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    I have no others to compare it to. I hatched out 4 assorted eggs 12 weeks ago, each one, a different type of bantam so I only have 1 Silkie.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Well, the only way to tell for sure is if it crows. So, you might have to wait 2 more months

5. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    My male silkies developed body feathers at a slower rate than the females. The females were cute little fluffballs at 5 weeks while the males still had patchy fluff. My males started to develop combs by that age as well. Also, my females do not have the little spur bumps on their legs, all the males do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by