1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell an Australorp pullet from a BCM pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckitall, Nov 28, 2012.

1. cluckitall

cluckitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    Hi! I supposedly have two clean-legged BCM pullets (8 weeks old). Problem is, I've also got two 8 week old Black Australorp pullets and I'll be darned if I can tell them apart! (Keep in mind, it's my first time raising either breed). They looked pretty much identical as chicks, too -- the ones that I think are BAs seemed to have a little more white on their faces.

Is there any distinctive way to tell the two breeds apart as adolescents, if you're not overly familiar with body type?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pics?

3. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    we will need pics to tell you anything

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I believe australorps should have black legs and BCM should have white legs. SHOULD but could not be the case if they are hatchery chicks. I'm not sure if BCMs have a dark wash on their legs as chicks or not.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. cluckitall

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    Hi and thanks -- I'll get pics tomorrow!

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They can, actually. It is a pretty hard job sorting them out early if the BCMs are clean-legged.

7. cluckitall

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    Pele, thank you! That makes me feel better. I was feeling kinda like an idiot because I really couldn't tell the difference -- of course, that might actually be because there IS no difference and they're all australorps.

I got distracted dealing with car issues, but will get pictures tomorrow!

8. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    BCM's should have slate or grey colored legs and copper expressing on their necks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by