How to tell an Australorp pullet from a BCM pullet?

cluckitall

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Mansfield OH
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I supposedly have two clean-legged BCM pullets (8 weeks old). Problem is, I've also got two 8 week old Black Australorp pullets and I'll be darned if I can tell them apart! (Keep in mind, it's my first time raising either breed). They looked pretty much identical as chicks, too -- the ones that I think are BAs seemed to have a little more white on their faces.

Is there any distinctive way to tell the two breeds apart as adolescents, if you're not overly familiar with body type?

I believe australorps should have black legs and BCM should have white legs. SHOULD but could not be the case if they are hatchery chicks. I'm not sure if BCMs have a dark wash on their legs as chicks or not.

Last edited:
I believe australorps should have black legs and BCM should have white legs. SHOULD but could not be the case if they are hatchery chicks. I'm not sure if BCMs have a dark wash on their legs as chicks or not.

They can, actually. It is a pretty hard job sorting them out early if the BCMs are clean-legged.

Pele, thank you! That makes me feel better. I was feeling kinda like an idiot because I really couldn't tell the difference -- of course, that might actually be because there IS no difference and they're all australorps.

I got distracted dealing with car issues, but will get pictures tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom