How to tell apart Phoenix and EE chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GothChick, Jul 15, 2011.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have some chipmunk colored chicks that have grey legs no beards, muffs, or pea combs. How do I know if the are Easter Eggers or Phoenix chicks? They came in an assortment and I assumed they were EEs but after looking at Phoenix chicks they also have slate colored legs in the pictures I saw. So how can I tell what they are?

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I want to know the same thing.....Let's wait for some more posters! [​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:lol you kind of answered your own question. With really young chicks its hard to tell the difference between one chipmunk and the next.

However, EEs tend to have muffs (looks like chipmunk cheeks) even from day one. They also tend to have pea combs and green/slate legs.

Keep in mind though, EEs are not a regulated 'breed', and hatcheries like to mess around with their genes. So it IS theoretically possible to get an EE chick that lacks all of the features I listed. Just not likely as they should have at least some.

Hope that helps!

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    LOL That is so true!!!! Ameraucanas do have beards!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I told you guys I am VERY stupid. Thanks Pele.

5. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm just having a hard time telling these chicks apart because I have a female Easter Egger that has a single comb and no beard or muffs. The only thing she has are the greenish legs, but Phoenix chicks also have colored legs. Soooo I have no idea which these chicks are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by