1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to tell barnevelder hatchling from blue laced red wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HathawayHens, Oct 4, 2011.

1. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Hey all - I have a mystery chick from the "assorted rare breeds" package at mypetchicken... she looks like she could be either barnevelder or BLRW... is there a way to tell other than waiting for feathers and combs to start coming in? Thanks! I can post pics, but don't have them taken just yet. Was just hoping for some clues, ie the barnevelders are very dark chipmunks and the BLRW are not... [​IMG]

2. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

That's one of my BLRW babies!

3. HathawayHens

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    oh, ok... wow... not sure what I was looking at online... I think I must have a barnevelder, then. She is very dark chipmunk. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help! I will post a pic of her later. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm sorry but that chick is at best a blue laced GOLD or a Splash Laced Red. [​IMG]

BLRW and Barnies are best told apart by the blue vs black marbling, but also by the comb. Look closely between their eyes and the Barnies will have a sawtooth appearance, the Wyandottes will be flat and slightly broad up there.

5. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    It's true - he's splash laced red, but I thought it would help give a general idea...

6. HathawayHens

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    yeah I was trying to note the difference... was hard to tell yesterday. I'll look again today, and get a pic.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Like Illia said, look at the combs. Barnevelders have single combs and Wyandottes have rose combs.

Here is what barnevelder chicks should look like. Ignore the mottled javas in the picture:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by