How to tell boys vs girls when they are young???

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by koakritters, Jan 27, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Hi, everyone. I'm new hre and hopefully you can help me! [​IMG]

How do you tell males/females of Indian Blues apart when they are young? I have a bunch that were born last summer and I need to sell them off since we now have too many (there's at least 12 wandering around our campground now, too many lol) I have read some sites saying that you can't tell them apart, and others said that if the neck feathers were blue then boys and green girls... well I looked and they all look green to me, but I can't believe that every single baby born would be a girl... Can anyone help me??? I can take pictures and post them if that would help at all. Thanks!

Also, what would they sell for in California, does anyone know? I have 2 males with full tails about 4-5 years old, a couple older females same age, then all the younger ones, 8 in total that i need to find homes for.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Males will have barring in the back feathers, female will have lost the barring by the time they are 3 months old.

Post pics sure we can sex them for you.

look at this pics , color is purple ,but sexed the same 1st pic male in the back 2 hens in front 2 nd pic note the barring in the males feathers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=443430&p=1

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    It won't let me post pics or a URL :

We have been having a big problem with spam and have had to temporarilly limit what brand new members can post. To continue, please reduce the number of URLs or images in your post to 0.

I have pics. how can i get them posted?

4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Try to PM them and see if they go through, someone will answer back or post them if they can. [​IMG]

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:Or you can make a BYC page (just click on My BYC page on the left hand side of your screen), and post them there.

6. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Thank you!

I put them up on my page and I've named them A B C, etc so if you want to talk about a certain one you can use that.

Thanks everyone! I really need to know exactly what I have to sell them.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They all look like girls [​IMG]

8. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    really?? that what i've been thinking all along, but I can't believe there was only one boy born out of everyone... I have one other that i know for sure is a boy, he's already turning blue, but then someone who was out there looking at them told me a had a lot of boys... LOL. I know nothing about them really, they've been running around out campground for years and this year i think the predators that had been eating the babies moved away, or the hens got smart and moved their nest, but we went from 4-5 peacocks to 12 and now everyone complains about how loud they are... so they must find new homes. [​IMG] I like them, i do get to keep a couple though...

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    A,B,C,D,E,F, LUCKY YOU all females......the peacocks after 3 yr hard to tell how old they are 3 to 20+

10. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    wow, yay!! Thanks you guys! Now to figure out how to sell them fast... I'm already tired of them yelling at me to let them out lol.

On that note, if anyone in Northern California wants some peacocks, LOL. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by