How to tell BR from Black Star chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Megs501, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    I placed an order for my friend and me from McMurray. They ship next week. I've never ordered more than one breed at a time and assume they will all be in one box.

We ordered RiR, Barred rocks, and I ordered 3 black stars for me.

She is getting 4 RiR and 4 BR. Will it be hard to tell the difference between the black star and BR chicks, so she doesn't end up raising my black stars? Pics online look very similar... =/ How can I be sure of the difference? **EDIT to add: all the chicks we ordered are females**

Also, we have meat chickens shipping this week- they are including an exotic bird. Are the exotics meat or laying birds?

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you ordered black star pullets then it will be easy. Those are solid black while the Rocks will have a white spot on the head.

The exotic tends to be a rare breed cockerel. Last year we got a silver phoenix.

3. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Great! I forgot to add they are females/pullets. Good to know on coloring! I figured the exotic would be a roo ... we are supposed to get one in both our laying and meat chicken orders. =/ Not sure I will need two more roosters (we have one left after culling a few) but I would love to have some pretty exotic ones ....

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by