Alixzandrah

Songster
Jul 17, 2021
I’ve been trying to research how the genes of the chickens affected the egg color. I know you need brown and blue to to make olive egger etc etc but I’m confused slightly. So if I have a black mottled orpington roo and Easter eggers (she looks like an amerecauna lays blue eggs) and olive eggers ( crested cream legbar welbar cross lays dark green) what would the outcome be of those? Does it matter what rooster pairs with which hen like does the rooster have to come from blue laying genes and the hen brown to make olive egger or does it not matter which of the two has the genes? I’m also trying to find color charts as far as if I have black and blue Silkie pullets and have a paint rooster what could come of. I’ve seen a few charts but not all the color variations.

Is it like a breed and find out type situation 😅
Basically which is why i dont deal with egg colors had a pure am rooster breed a brown egg hen all should have laid green but he only apparently had on copy of blue and one of the daughters laid brown..so for me isnt worth the time lol

Basically which is why i dont deal with egg colors had a pure am rooster breed a brown egg hen all should have laid green but he only apparently had on copy of blue and one of the daughters laid brown..so for me isnt worth the time lol
Ok haha makes sense! Now I need to figure out Silkie breeding for the colors 😅

If I'm following this correctly you have an orpinton roo (brown egg genes), an EE with 1 possibly 2 blue genes, and olive eggers that were bred using CCL and Welbar so that would be 1 blue gene (not 2) and genes that produce dark brown.
The EE would have chicks that have egg genes with split 1blue from hen and 1 not blue and brown from the orp so result would be green eggs or if she only has 1 blue gene some chick could have brown eggs
The olive eggers chicks would have some that receive the blue gene and some that would not . I believe this is a straight 50/50 chance. The ones that would receive the blue gene would lay green or olive eggs. They may be slightly lighter than the mothers eggs depending on how the brown passes down. The ones that don't receive the blue gene would lay brown eggs.

No expert here, by any means, but here’s my understanding from other BYC posts: need a blue egg gene from daddy rooster, paired with brown egg laying females to get olive eggs. The blue egg gets an overlay of the brown “paint” giving an olive egg. Blue eggs are blue all the way through, so peel back the membrane inside the egg and you should see a blue color on inside of the shell. A brown egg is white with a coating of brown color - the inside of the egg is white. So, an olive egg should have that faint blue tint inside. This is what I’ve read on BYC, but I haven’t done any experiments myself.

If I'm following this correctly you have an orpinton roo (brown egg genes), an EE with 1 possibly 2 blue genes, and olive eggers that were bred using CCL and Welbar so that would be 1 blue gene (not 2) and genes that produce dark brown.
The EE would have chicks that have egg genes with split 1blue from hen and 1 not blue and brown from the orp so result would be green eggs or if she only has 1 blue gene some chick could have brown eggs
The olive eggers chicks would have some that receive the blue gene and some that would not . I believe this is a straight 50/50 chance. The ones that would receive the blue gene would lay green or olive eggs. They may be slightly lighter than the mothers eggs depending on how the brown passes down. The ones that don't receive the blue gene would lay brown eggs.
Thank you so much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom