How to tell fertile from infertile egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barbara j., Mar 2, 2009.

1. barbara j.

barbara j. New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    Boise
    I would love to sell my eggs to friends, to counter balance my feed costs. However, several are afraid to buy, because they are afraid they will be eating 'baby chicks." I gather each day, they are completely fresh, and even I am not sure that they are fertile, because most of my roosters are very old and not interested in having a love life. All they want to do is sit on my lap and have treats. What can I tell these silly people?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
  3. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Just lecture them on the process of egg incubation... A chicken lays one egg per day until she feels she has enough to sit on. This may take a week or more, and the eggs don't start to develop until the hen sits on them constantly and raises their temperature to 100 degrees. It then takes twenty-one days of incubation for the chick to grow in the egg and hatch. You don't allow the hens to sit on the eggs because you collect them every day, so there is no way for a hen to get enough eggs to sit on, and they never develop. If the people are still a little iffy after that, you can pull out a bright flashlight and offer to candle the eggs.

Don't put too much stock in the "old rooster" not caring about doing his duty... One time is more than enough to fertilize every egg a hen will lay for a month.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    barbara j. :

I would love to sell my eggs to friends, to counter balance my feed costs. However, several are afraid to buy, because they are afraid they will be eating 'baby chicks." I gather each day, they are completely fresh, and even I am not sure that they are fertile, because most of my roosters are very old and not interested in having a love life. All they want to do is sit on my lap and have treats. What can I tell these silly people?

Consumer ignorance is unbelievable.

Tell them that eggs they are buying in "Health Food" stores, as well
    as any "free range" eggs are most likely fertile, if they only want to eat infertile eggs they must make shure eggs come from "caged" hens.
    That's most likely tasteless, cheapest white eggs found in Supermarkets.​

5. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    [​IMG] I think the other posts are right,but I have found I usualy have no trouble selling eggs .Just let enough people know you have fresh eggs and you will find most people dont care about if the eggs are fertile or not [​IMG]

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I never try to convince anyone. I tell them the facts and if they still want to waver, no problem. I have plenty of people that want to buy my eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by