how to tell gestation on muscovy egg???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by favorelle fab, Nov 23, 2011.

1. favorelle fab

favorelle fab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    HI

We discovered that our female muscovy was sitting on 3 eggs. Brilliant we thought, but then she started eating the eggs (we had this problem with her when she decided to sit on our chicken eggs, and had hoped it was an isolated incident due to them being chickens not duck - she got them to internal pip, and when they started peeping she ate them) This time however they are not ready to hatch, so I think she may have a bad trait. We pulled the last 2 eggs out from her and put them in the incubator. I candled them both, one was not fertile but the other has a good air sac and veins and this morning when I candled again I saw clear movement.

My question is whether it is possible to tell through candling what gestation we may be at?? I'm guessing about 3-4 weeks but not really sure when she started sitting, so at a bit of a loss what to do about lockdown?? My humidity is sitting at 60% right now, could I just come to a happy medium between? Any help would be appreciated

Tracey

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It may be a bit of a guess for a while- but certainly right towards the end you can tell from candling that the hatch is very close.

Just before pipping the duckling moves in position to hatch- at the base of the aircell you can see fluttering movement. I can see this right now in eggs I have due to hatch on Tuesday and Wednesday.

[​IMG]

Not a great picture- But it shows where to look - its kind of a fluttering movement. That is where the ducklings spine is.

Once you can see plenty of movement there you will know things are getting close. To be on the safe side with hatching though- It may be better to leave raising the humidity for hatching until you see the beak in the aircell. That way you still have time for it to raise before it cracks the shell- but you wont be providing too much moisture meaning the baby could drown before pipping.

Fingers are crossed for you .

3. favorelle fab

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    Thanks Duckyfromoz, I'll keep a close eye on our little egg, and my fingers crossed [​IMG] I sure hope this little one makes it!

4. favorelle fab

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    HI
    just an update, we had a little black and yellow duckling hatch out on monday night!!![​IMG] [​IMG]: [​IMG] I did need to help it out as I didn't have the humidity quite right, but its now a very happy little duck!! Thanks for the advice

Tracey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by