How to tell if a bird is Show Quality

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Easter eggers, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    My question is how do you decide if your bird is SQ I know you need the standards which I do have. From my understanding a bird can have defects. My question is a little hard to understand. For example the comb should have 5 points but only has 4 would you take a point away from the comb section or what. thanks for trying to understand

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    You can buy the Standard of Perfection Poultry and go by that.

3. Easter eggers

Jul 4, 2011
    Thankyou for the response. I know my question is hard to understand I have the SOP but how do I judge them or does everything have to be right with them. Sorry it sounds better in my head

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've checked my own eyes against the eyes of others. Thus, I have studied photos of winners, lots of winners at the shows. I put my own birds against not only the Standard, the standard within my own brain, but also against all those photos of judged birds. It also helps greatly (probably mandatory) to attend poultry shows. There's probably no substitute to seeing winning birds up close and personal. If I were serious, I'd also participate with the breed club in my area, if there is one.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Did by chance you read the front pages of your standard? I believe that it will answer you question comb question.
    Under Breed Shape, Section Comb, Sub-section (c) Single Comb Breeds it read "1. Points, more or less than required, each point....................................1/2"

So if the Standard calls for 5 comb points and your bird has 4 then you would deduct a 1/2 point on the points scale. If standard calls for 5 comb point and your bird has 7 comb points then you would deduct 1 full point.

Chris

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. Easter eggers

Jul 4, 2011
    Thank you all for the replies I think I understand. I will compare to winning birds and I will be sure to attend poultry shows to see winners of my breed

7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I think I understand your question. There are some things you can look at that ANY beginner can see (i.e. you do not have to be an expert). First, is color. Whatever the SOP description for the color of your breed, read that. Read what the color of the surface, tail, under-color, legs, eyes, earlobes -- all the color description. Make sure, for example, if your bird is all black, that you go and read the definitions of black in the SOP. Second, Read all the definitions for the descriptors that relate to your breed. There are definitions for everything such as, "horn," "condition," "lustrous," "mahogany," "mealy," "metallic cast," "mottled,"and "rich" etc. For example, if you have a laced breed, you need to know what "mossy" means. Third, weigh your bird. There are cockerel. pullet, cock and hen weights. See how close you are to those things. There are deviations allowed in weight -- read the SOP and what it permits. Fourth, another easy thing for a beginner to see is tail angle. See if your bird has the proper tail angle (or is at least close). Fifth, know the defects in the SOP that will disqualify you: such as, "Squirrel tail," Split wing," "wry tail," "Slipped wing or twisted feather." All of these things are real easy. If you get past this set of standards, then you are probably safe to show.

Things such as whether you have a medium shank length, a long enough back, proper body depth and width, properly shaped head for your breed, etc. -- these things can take more time and experience. Likely, if those easy "beginner" things are lining up (i.e. color,definitions,weight, tail angle and no disqualifications), then likely, your other traits are good enough to show.

Lastly, your bird needs to be in the best feather condition as possible. This relates to their general good health from good diet and proper care (as well as genetics).

When I showed the first time, it was at 2009 Ohio National in Columbus. I had never seen a Buckeye in a show so I did not know if mine were up to par. I knew that I had the above easy/ beginner qualities covered. Other than my own, I had only seen a couple of other Buckeyes, in person, ever ( & a picture here or there). The prior shows I had been to observe had no Buckeyes. The three Buckeye cockerels I showed that first time did well taking the #1,#2 & #3 cockerels and the #1 was Best of Breed that year -- so you will never know unless you show. Of course, there were only about a couple dozen Buckeyes in that show. Hope this helps you.

8. Easter eggers

Jul 4, 2011
    Yes that helps soooooo much thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by