1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell if a chick is a cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chriscruz, Oct 12, 2015.

1. chriscruz

chriscruz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hi! This is my second post, new to the site: We have been getting our chicks from a local feed store for years and always lucked out with all girls. This time we bought two Cuckoo Marans and two New Jersey Giants who are now 8 weeks old, and one of the Marans is exhibiting signs of maleness. for the past two weeks he/she has been trying to crow, weak at first, then louder each day. His/her comb and wattle are bigger than the other chicks. Behavior is interesting in that he/she picks on the others a little more agressively than the others, but also one other chick picks on him/her more often than the others.

My question is when can I know that he/she is a rooster, and then, since we can't keep a rooster, what is the best way of giving him away to a good home? The few people I have asked who have chickens on farms don't want another rooster. Any help is appreciated!

2. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

It seems like you indeed have a cockerel. Can you post a pic to be sure?

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If the comb is already red and crowing attempts have begun already, then you very likely have a cockerel. If you want to be sure post a picture and we can help.

4. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Chances are, if he's crowing, his comb and wattles are bigger, etc then he's a rooster. My rooster started trying to crow at a little over 8wks, and he was bigger than the girls by that point (not much, but definitely thicker, thicker legs, and a little taller). I CAN keep him (I live in the country, outside of city limits, so there are no ordinances or laws saying I can't, and my neighbors love him too), so he's sticking around for now. Looking back though, I could tell earlier if I would have known what to look for.

No advice on finding him a home since I'm keeping my guy. When I get another batch of chicks or hatch eggs then I'll have to rehome because I only want a max of 1 rooster.

5. chriscruz

Oct 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks for all the advice. Here are two photos from today, he (probably) is 8 1/2 weeks old - Cuckoo Marans. Being new, I think I should have posted on What breed/sex is this Forum instead of this one. Will switch to there next. Would love to hear your verdict!

Chris[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. chriscruz

Oct 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I just realized this Forum is the right place! Still learning!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

9. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps