How to tell if a chicken will sit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by XoPandora, Aug 16, 2018.

1. XoPandora

XoPandora Chirping

Jul 31, 2018
    Aberdeen SD
    are there signs that I should see in a broody hen? I noticed one of my hens stays in a nest box with a bunch of eggs. It looks like she's been moving them around. And we have a rooster name Fabio who she's always fallowing around, but the last couple days I noticed we don't see her out much and she's not following him around when I look in her nest she's usually there. So is it likely she's sitting on the eggs?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Probably. A broody hen will be sitting on the clutch for about 23.5 hours a day. Coming off about once a day to defecate, eat, drink and stretch. If they don't stay that long, the eggs won't hatch.

3. Golden Brahma 64

Golden Brahma 64 Songster

Apr 28, 2018
    Ireland
    How long and how often do you see her off her nest during the day ?
    Does she behave broody when you go near her on the nest ? Growing/pecking and screaming?

[email protected] and XoPandora like this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she sets on them overnight, she is broody.

5. XoPandora

XoPandora Chirping

Jul 31, 2018
    Aberdeen SD
    We haven't seen her leave the nest sense we got home at 2:30 it's now 7:20 and she's still there. She isn't following her rooster like she has sense we got them. Haven't seen her out of the pin really in the last 3 days. Think I saw her once yesterday eating before she disappeared again. But she's not generally leaving the nest much

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Make sure that other hens are not adding eggs to her clutch or disturbing her as this can make for a staggered hatch or disturbed incubation.

7. XoPandora

XoPandora Chirping

Jul 31, 2018
    Aberdeen SD
    Maybe 1 time a day if that. We haven't gone in as we don't want to mess with her. But for her not to be right along side of Fabio is odd. And now we don't rarely see her out of her nest box

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.
  8. XoPandora

XoPandora Chirping

Jul 31, 2018
    Aberdeen SD
    So shutting her in the pin is a good idea?

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make to mark all the eggs under her so you can remove any eggs other hens contribute to the nest.
    Just wait till she comes off the nest to do her daily regimen and mark them with a magic marker while she is out.

XoPandora likes this.
  10. 112Days

112Days Chirping

Sep 6, 2016
    SW Washington [State]
    With my designated broody, she gets shut in her own private pen and takes a 30-minute break every 12 hours or so (her current brood came a day early, probably because of this!). Don't mess with her if she's doing alright for herself, but mane sure she's eating, her comb is well-coloured, and is taking breaks once or twice a day. I actually have to take Lucky out to free range for 20-30 minutes twice a day and add egg yolk to her feed to keep her weight up.

That said, wait a few days to see if she's committed. If she's still sitting, switch her feed to chick starter - broodiness takes a heavy toll on the body. You can soak it into a mash with water or Nutridrench and sprinkle her favourite treat (Lucky likes blackberries, they're fairly nutritious) if she needs to be encouraged to eat.

Good luck in your hatching adventure! :thumbsup:jumpy

XoPandora likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: