How to tell if a hen is finished laying?

Svaness

Songster
Jun 26, 2018
Hi everyone. I currently have 2 red sexlink hens.
They are both one year old.
Both have not laid eggs in over a month.

My question is if we should celebrate their retirement or if they're just taking a temporary leave of absence
(*edited for spelling errors*

This answer will depend heavily
On where you love but if it’s hot there this time of year (summer in the North America area for us) then they’ll stop laying typically. They need to focus their energies on staying cool.

This answer will depend heavily
On where you love but if it’s hot there this time of year (summer in the North America area for us) then they’ll stop laying typically. They need to focus their energies on staying cool.
Ou! Great point, thanks. I'll find some ways to help them keep cool it has been unseasonably humid here this summer

Probably taking a break. Usually happens when cold weather season approaches. Where are you? Knowing your general location helps us determine your environmental conditions and weather. Chickens in Australia will be in winter now while the United States are in summer. Texas is mega scorching hot while Maine is seasonally warm. Heck, on my mountain flowers bloom 2 weeks later than half a mile down at the bottom!:gigWe don't need your address. Just a location. Me? I'm in Northwest NJ.
That being said, are they stressed by predators? Are they eating and drinking? Are their crops empty first thing in the morning? Are their vents clean? Are they egg bound? Are they broody?:frow

We’re in Texas (Dallas) and it’s steadily in the mid to upper 90s. We use a box fan for airflow. The three keys to keeping them cool are fresh water, available shade and then a fan if you can.

In addition to that you can have frozen bottles of water for them to lay next to or perch on (gallon jugs, 2 liters, single water bottles, etc.), a kiddie pool with a few inches for them to put their feet in (the water bottles work well there too) or a mister/sprayer.

We're in southern Nova Scotia. Tempuratures have been around 28 degrees celsius not sure what that translates to in Fahrenheit.
No pest problems they are eating and drinking. They are completely free range. They're happily scratching and dust bathing and otherwise are normal. Their vents are clear and zero signs of illness.

The only change is that they are part of a 4 bird flock and we're working on integrating them slowly with 36 new pullets. We also raised 20 cornish x but kept them in a completly separate enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom