How to tell if an egg is fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jesse1983, May 2, 2017.

1. Jesse1983

Jesse1983 New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Hello all I am new to this forum and new to raising/incubating chicken eggs. I was wondering if there is a way to tell if the egg is fertile before setting it into the incubator? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, the only way to determine fertility before incubating an egg is to crack the egg open and examine the germinal disc -- which would, of course, render the egg useless for incubation. If you are hatching from your own flock you can sacrifice a few eggs over several days of laying to judge the overall rate of fertility (test eggs from different hens if you are aware of who is laying which) and then when you feel fertility is at a good level set some eggs to hatch. Alternatively, or if you are incubating eggs from another source than your own flock so supply is limited it is fairly simple to set the eggs and candle after a few days to check development.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jesse1983

Jesse1983 New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Okay that is exactly what I had found upon doing some research. Just thought I would post to this forum and verify with others that have some experience in this to be sure. Yes the eggs are coming from my own flock so supply is not really and issue. Thank you for the quick response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by