1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to tell if an egg is fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theron, Mar 15, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    How can you tell if an egg is fertile? I cracked open ten eggs and they all had a white dot on the yolk. if that is how to tell if the egg is fertile than i have 100% fertility! I might even try hatching a few eggs to see what I get. The rooster is very sweet and i personally have never seen him make the move on the hens. He even helps build their nests and sits on the eggs if the hens are off too long. This is Big Bird, the rooster:
    [​IMG]

2. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
  3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    The only way you can tell without BREAKING them is to let the broody hen sit on them, or use an incubator. Make sure you put all the eggs under her at one time and don't add any later. Candle them around 8-10 days. You'll see veins and a dark spot where the chick is forming. If you don't see any veins by day 12, toss those out. If she sits on an unfertilized egg for weeks, it could explode. [​IMG]
    Big bird is gorgeous and I love your story about him sitting! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The white dot is on all eggs. If it looks like this, below, it's fertile:
    [​IMG]

5. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:????? u mean, The only way you can tell with out CRACKING them is to let the broody hen sit on them, or use an incubator.
    other wise crack it and look for the bulls eye like in the post from speckled hen.

Speckled hen incase noone has ever told you, you take a good picture of an egg. [​IMG]

6. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    all of the eggs have a bulls-eye appearance. Also, when I went back outside to the chicken coop, Big Bird was mating with my favorite hen, Midnight. I guess since I have not seen Big Bird mating before, I thought he was too much of a gentleman and his feet are all crooked due to incubator problems. So yippee!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They probably are all fertile if you have a healthy rooster. The egg in that pic was probably my Lexie's first fertile egg. The rooster took five months to produce any, he was such a gentleman! That was a long five months!

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:Oops, I meant to say "breaking them", not "hatching them". Must be the time change, my mind is gone.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by