How to tell if an egg is old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lescostes, Feb 5, 2009.

1. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    OK - I feel like a really bad Mom. I have 2 naked necks and one has been laying since late December but then she stopped. Figured it was due to the weather, but everyone else in my area has eggs. Then I thought maybe because she was "free range" she was laying them outside so today I decided to go and find her and see if she might be laying someplace else. I went into the coop and my other hen and rooster were in there but not Rhoda. Then I heard a noise and I started looking around. Their coop is an old shed and part of it still has stuff in there (our pool chairs etc...) and lo and behold behind the pool chairs in the corner on the other side of the coop was Rhoda and she was laying an egg...then she moved and OMG there were tons of eggs. 20! I can't believe she has been laying and I didn't even realize it. Here is a picture of the eggs I found. I put some woodshavings back there and made her a comfy spot. Now the question is - are all these eggs good to eat? How do I know if they are good or bad?

2. edladd

edladd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Ireland
  3. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    Ah - thank you so much. Did the test and ALL of them sat on the bottom...so they are all fresh. That's my girl.

What does "going broody" mean (sorry I'm a new chicken owner)

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Glad they were still ok. Going broody means the hen wants to sit on the eggs and incubate them so she can hatch them. She generally will sit on the egg and not get off except for brief periods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by