1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to tell if an egg is rotten?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Hello again, im the one with the broody hen who was sitting on duck eggs, and i took her eggs from her yesterday. Dont know whos following that story. ANYWAY. Today i smelled something yucky from the incubator, and i saw an egg kinda seeping goo. So my DH told me put it in water to test if its rotten, and it raced to the top to float. So i took it outside and dropped it on the ground. YUCK!!!! Talk about disgusting!!! I should have bottled it and sold it as a stink bomb. Disgusting. SOOOOO my question is, do you think the others are rotten? I candled all them and saw something in all so i have no idea.
    HELP

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

The others are probably fine. I wouldn't worry especially if you candled and saw development. It's possible that another could go bad, but not necessarily likely.

Hope the rest are doing well and you have a great hatch. [​IMG]

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Does this work with eggs on day 21? I have some and I dont beleive they are fertile

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would candle them to see if they are fertile.

The egg water test will show all aging eggs to float, so doesn't necessarily work on partially incubated eggs. They will all float. Fresh eggs don't float.

5. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    How long should I leave the eggs in the incubator????

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  7. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    My egg is on day 21 and it floated straight to the top. Is it infertile, I candled and it looked like it internally pipped. But im not counting on it.

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Jay read what Hinkjc said. It doesnt work. and thats what i figured. Leave your egg in the bator for another week, are you sure when it was laid?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If you keep messing with your eggs that are due to hatch you aren't going to have any luck with them at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by