1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell if bumblefoot is really bad?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Aug 23, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I have two ladies that seem to have bumblefoot. I have never had a case of this before. I am wondering if what I have is still treatable with the tricide-neo dip, because the thought of the surgical treatment makes me a bit queasy. One of them has a dark brown spot that looks like a callous, there is no swelling. The other has a spot that is light brown and looks like a normal scab would look with a little bit of swelling. Neither of them are limping or anything.
    Does this sound like they are new? I check feet fairly regularly, but must admit it has been a month or so since I did a full check of the whole flock's feet. I am thinking some downed limbs in the chicken yard may be the culprit. I will be raking everything up tomorrow. I did not even think sticks would be an issue!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Could you post a pic?

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    The scab is a dead give away. There are some options since you caught it early. Some do soaks with different products and today I read where someone's vet had her use a doughnut shaped pad under a bandage with no medicine and it worked so you'll need to do a search on here and find which you want to try.

4. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

I will try posting some pics in the morning.

5. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

How exactly does a doughnut shaped pad work to make it better? I hadn't heard that method, but it sounds way better than cutting the foot. Does it only work if caught really early?

6. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
  7. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Oh wow thanks for the link! That is some good info. I already spent $30 ordering some tricide-neo and hopefully that will work, but this doughnut wrap sounds like a great go-to in the future or if the dip doesn't work. I am so relieved to have options other than the surgery! I feel like that would be traumatic for both the ladies and me haha

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I tried the neo but I cannot consistently soak them so I finally just did the surgery. It gets easier each time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by