how to tell if chicken just froze to death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mathewmarie, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mathewmarie

mathewmarie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    First, i had 12 and they did not all freeze. This has been the worst winter i can remember. Found dead chicken yesterday when bringing out water. Gonna do the butchering today to see if there is any obvious explanation.

Is this my fault? Is a light a requirement? Do chickens just keel over frozen sometimes? Is there a more likely cause?

2. clecio

clecio New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    Depends on age, breed, and housing. Adult well feathered breeds kept in a warm dry, well ventilated but not draughty hen house should survive all but the most severe temperatures. Suggest Cochin (large/standard) as the go to breed for the cold!

Just how cold is cold in your part of the world anyway?

3. mathewmarie

mathewmarie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    10 month old Black Jersey Giant. Third week of nights below 0. I think it was minus 6 yesterday overnight. Plus wind.
    Coop has 3 insulated windward walls. Ventilation is sketchy. There are 3 vents but the thing has gaps and all due to not being built by a pro so i've tended to think of draftiness as a bigger danger than lack of ventillation.

Everyday i bring warm water and take frozen water away... could a hen die of thirst in 24 hours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by